Thursday, November 17, 2011

Falling Leaves

The leaves are steadily falling now.  I watched out the window as a flurry of them drifted past, spiraling down.  From a distance, the bright orange ones were indistinguishable from the orange butterflies I often see in my garden.
Orlan rediscovered the joy of playing in leaves, today. 
I was inside and heard the distinct sound of Flash, my father's cat, screaming.  I ran outside to find Orlan attempting to engage Flash in play in the huge collection of leaves beneath the viburnum, which marks the property line.  As I lifted a branch to see what was going on, I was surprised at how expansive the area beneath the viburnum had become.  It did look like a great place to hang out, perhaps even to fight over.  Flash and Orlan separated on my appearance and admonishments.  Then, as Flash tried to walk around to the back of the house, Orlan couldn't resist and made a kitten like hop to catch her.  So, I hopped towards him, and he went running and hopping all the way around the house, up the stairs to the deck, through the rungs of the kitchen chair I had propping up the backdoor (an incredible feat for a cat his size, who isn't exactly known for agility), and through the kitchen, purple bedroom, and into the suite bathroom.
Orlan just wants the other cats to play with him.  But, they all think he is weird, giant, and frightening.  When he catches them, all he does is give them these silky, soft bear-hugs.  Flash starts screaming  before he lays a paw on her.  If he comes within a foot of her, she starts growling or screaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment